Places to Read Challenge | Silly Squad Events | Silly Squad Crafts | Summer Book Fun | Fabulous Books for 5 and under | Fantastic Fiction for 6 to 12s | Silly Squad Website | Join the Library
Libraries may be closed but the Summer Reading Challenge is still here!
We have just moved online!
The Silly Squad website lets you record your reading, release rewards for books you have read plus there are lots of fun activities as well.
How do I get books if the library is closed?
You can read anything! So why not try our fabulous e-books, audiobooks and magazines on your smartphone, tablet or computer?
Plus you can read the books, magazines and newspapers you have at home too.
- RBdigital - checkout and download e-books, audiobooks and magazines
- BorrowBox - borrow and download audioboks
- PressReader - read newspapers and magazines online
Ummm - I'm not sure what to read...
No problem! We have lots of ideas and suggestions!
If you are looking for inspiration just follow the links below for recommended reads - don't forget reading magazines and comics counts too!
- Fabulous reads for under 5s - includes e-books and audiobooks that are all available online
- Fantastic fiction for 6 to 12 year olds - nothing to read at home? Try our e-books and audiobooks
Once you have chosen what to read why not look for different places to enjoy your book and tick them off on the Places to Read Challenge?
How do I sign up for Silly Squad?
Visit the Silly Squad website and sign up.
(There are some steps your parent or guardian will need to follow so you can take part - find out more about the Silly Squad sign up process here - it will be worth it!!)
Once you are signed up you can set your reading goal for the challenge, we would recommend at least 6 reads, but you don't have to stop there - you could read even more if you want!
As you meet your goals all sorts of rewards and online prizes are released and why not review the books you read there are rewards for this too.
Plus there are all sorts of fun activities on the Silly Squad website for you to enjoy.
I am going to miss all your library activities; are you planning anything?
- Places to Read Challenge - Why not make your reading time even more interesting by finding unusual places to read? Join the challenge and get a certificate!
- Rhymes and Stories - Fabulous stories every Thursday at 11.30 on Facebook Live.
Don't worry if you miss them you can catch it later on the Central Bedfordshire Libraries Facebook page
- Bedtime Stories - Settle down and cuddle up with your little ones for a lovely story every Wednesday and Saturday night at 6.00 p.m. on the Central Bedfordshire Libraries Facebook page
- Lego Club - Every Saturday we share a theme on our Facebook page and then you can start building, send us a picture of your creation and we will share them all on Friday before the next theme is released
- Code Club - Why not have a go at coding and see what you can create?
- Chatterbooks - Love reading? Love talking about books? Why not try these fabulous book themed activities
- I Spy - Have fun finding each week's item and then learn about it on Britannica. Keep an eye on the Central Bedfordshire Libraries Facebook page each week
- Crafty Kids - A new craft is shared every Friday afternoon, plus there will be lots of other crafty ideas shared on social media through the challenge
Check out some of the crafts we have shared on our social media this month.
See what crafts you missed in June
See what crafts you missed in July.
Silly Squad images © Laura Ellen Anderson
Page last updated: 25th September 2020