Coronavirus Response from Central Bedfordshire Libraries
We are busily working towards reopening all libraries across Central Bedfordshire with a Select and Collect service later in the summer.
Select and Collect is our first step in resuming our library service and it will enable you to request books. In the coming weeks we will share with you our timetable for the Select and Collect service and how you can access it.
In the meantime, we would like to reassure you that no charges will be incurred during the temporary closure of libraries. Please continue to hold on to your items until we can arrange a safe way for you to return them once we reopen.
At the moment all libraries remain closed until further notice. We are constantly monitoring advice and guidelines from the Government, Public Health England and Central Bedfordshire Council. As the situation changes, we will post updates and information on the Central Bedfordshire Council website, here on the Virtual Library and on social media – Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
We are pleased to let you know of some changes that will make using the library during the closure more convenient for you:
- Items already on loan, and not overdue on Friday 20th March, have been extended to a date in August - you can check the exact due date by visiting Arena
- Items renewed online using Arena or the Bedfordshire Libraries app will be renewed until the week beyond the 1st August
- No charges will be incurred during the closure period
- Customer requests will be kept until the libraries re-open
Please do not attempt to return your library items during the closure period - we ask that you keep hold of these until the libraries re-open.
Anyone can join the library, you don’t have to be an existing library member and no proof of identification is required. Why not join us online today?
If you decide to become a member you can access a wide range of e-resources, including e-books, audiobooks and magazines which are available via the Bedfordshire Libraries app, logging in with your library card number and PIN.
Discover the wide range of online services and resources available through the Virtual Library, including e-books, audio books and e-magazines. Other resources including newspapers, Encyclopaedia Britannica, Credo reference sources, are available online by logging in with library card number and pin. Visit the Virtual Library today and check out the follow:
- BorrowBox - downloadable audiobooks
- RB Digital - downloadable e-books, audiobooks and magazines all in one place
- PressReader - Thousands of national and international newspapers and magazines to be read online or downloaded
- Freegal - Millions of tracks to be streamed for up to 5 hours a day or download 5 tracks a day to keep
Thank you for your understanding during this time.
Page last updated: 2nd July 2020