Select and Collect Service in Central Bedfordshire Libraries
We will continue to offer
Select and Collect services from our libraries whilst we are in national lockdown.
More information about the national lockdown can be found on the GOV.UK website.
Please do not worry about your loans, reservations or staff selected bundles; your loans will all be extended and we will ensure that you will not go overdue while the national lockdown continues. We can also extend the collection dates for your reservations and bundles, just Contact Us if you would like us to do this or you have any questions or concerns.
- Request up to 10 books of a genre or subject you like, for example, crime or romance, using the
Select and Collect Form.
We can only provide books, large print and spoken word, you cannot request DVDs, magazines or CDs.
- Request individual titles for free using
Arena, the online library catalogue.
Normal request charges will resume at a later date.
- You can also return the items you have at home to the entrance of your local library.
We have extended the return date for all items on loan, excluding those at the maximum overdue fine on the 20th March 2020.
- Each library has their own Select and Collect hours - click here to see the Select and Collect hours and contact details.
How do I request my Select and Collect books?
There are two ways to place your free Select and Collect Requests:
- Select and Collect Form - All you need is your library card number and PIN to log in.
Don't know your PIN? Request your PIN now!
- Log on to Arena, the online library catalogue to search and request specific books.
Or use the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android and Apple app store.
If you do not want to request online call your local Select and Collect Line and talk to a member of staff.
How does Select and Collect work?
- Where you would like to collect your books from.
- What type of stock you would like to request - books, large print or spoken word
- What genre/subject of books you would like. You can request multiple genres/subjects
This is not designed for requesting specific titles; use Arena, the Bedfordshire Libraries App, or call your Select and Collect Line for this type of request.
- Provide more detail about what you like to read - authors you like, books you have enjoyed, specifics about the genre/subject you have selected, for example Scandi-Noir or Cosy for crime.
Also highlight if you would prefer paperbacks.
- How many of each genre/subject you would like - a maximum of 10 books in total can be requested at one time (4 for Instant or Online Registered borrowers)
Once you've told us what you want the staff will select the books from your chosen library.
Please be aware that selecting the books may take a little while due to limited staffing in the current situation. We may not be able to provide you exactly what you’ve asked for.
When your books are ready to collect we will email you or send a letter.
Please read this carefully as it will tell you the opening times of your chosen library and provide guidance for collecting your books.
Then all you have to do is take your books home and enjoy!
Don't forget you can request individual titles for free using Arena, the online library catalogue, the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android or Apple app store, or by calling your local Select and Collect Line.
What types of stock can I get using Select and Collect?
We are able to provide books, large print and spoken word.
We will not be providing DVDs, CDs or magazines as they are not stocked at all the collection libraries
However, you can request all stock using Arena, the online library catalogue, the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android or Apple app store, or by calling your local Select and Collect Line.
How many books can I request using Select and Collect?
You can have up to 10 books at a time, they can be multiple genres/subjects.
If you have an instant membership (did not provide ID when you joined the library) or joined online but have not collected a card you can have 4 books.
You can only ask for one set of books at a time.
Can I choose my own books?
Yes, you can use Arena, the online library catalogue, the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android or Apple app store, or call your local Select and Collect Line to request individual titles for free.
Click here to see how to search and request using Arena.
How long will I have to wait for my books?
We will work hard to satisfy your requests as quickly as possible. However, we cannot provide a timescale due to Covid-19 limitations to staffing, work practices, treatment of stock, etc. which will have an impact.
How do I collect my books?
Only visit the library when you have been told your requests are ready for collection, they will be held for two weeks for you.
Government guidelines apply to the collection of your requests, when you arrive at your pick-up library you must follow the rules outlined in your collection notice and below:
- Queue 2 metres apart outside the library as guided
- Please remember you must wear a face covering when visiting a library, unless you have a legitimate reason not to.
- Only send one person from your household, unless this is impossible to do so
- Have the reference number and the surname of the person who ordered the books
- Do not open your book parcel until you have left the collection area
You must not visit the library if you, or anyone in your household, have had any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
Just contact us and we will happily extend the collection date for your books.
What are the Select and Collect Collection Hours?
Each library has their own Select and Collect hours - click here to see the Select and Collect hours and contact details.
How do I know the items are safe to handle?
When items are returned they are quarantined for a miminum of 72 hours. We have new procedures for when we select, issue and pack the items for you too.
As an extra precaution, you may choose to leave them in their paper bag for three days once you get home.
There will be a drop box for all returned items. In good weather this will be outside the library, if the weather is poor the box will be where you collect your requests.
You may have to queue to return your items on occasion.
All returned stock will be quarantined for 4 days; they will not be returned from your card until the quarantine period has passed.
Please contact us or call your local Select and Collect Line if you have any questions about your loans, account or requests.
My loans online are not correct - why?
At times the list of loans displayed on Arena will not match what you have at home. This is because:
- Returned items will be quarantined for 4 days before being removed from your card
- Requested books will be issued to your card as soon as they arrive at your pick-up library, before you pick them up.
Will I be able to look at the shelves or use the computers?
No. The libraries are not open to the public yet.
You will collect your books from the library entrance and not enter the main library.
Can I pay my charges?
No. We are not handling any payments at the moment.
There have been no overdue charges from the 20th March onwards, nor are there charges to borrow or renew spoken word, DVDs or CDs.
However, if you return loans that were at the maximum overdue charge before we closed on the 20th March 2020 charges will be added to your account and any charges you had on your account before the 20th March will remain.
Can I collect books for someone else?
Yes, as long as you have their reference number and surname.
Page last updated: 1st March 2021