Bedford Borough Libraries from Monday 19th July
All Bedford Borough Libraries are open for limited browsing and essential PC use.
Find out your library opening hours here.
What services are available?
All libraries are open for limited browsing and essential PC use. You can visit the library to:
- Return books – please return any items at the entrance of the library.
- Browse for books – please respect others’ space and maintain distance from other customers.
- Borrow books using the self-service kiosks.
- Collect requests.
- Join the Library – we encourage you to join online before you visit.
- Access the computers – limited to 45 minutes per day.
Find out more about what you can and cannot do when you visit using the links below:
- What should I do when I visit the library?
- Can I use the computers?
- When can I use Select and Collect?
- Can I use the mobile library again?
- What services are not available yet?
- What is Test and Trace?
- Can I join the library?
- I have lost or mislaid my library card, can I get a replacement?
- I have a Select and Collect bundle waiting for me, can I still collect it?
- I don’t want to visit the library and choose my own books yet, what should I do?
There will be a limited number of people allowed in the library at one time, so you may be asked to queue.
Please help us to keep you, other customers and our staff safe by:
- Wearing a face covering, unless you have a legitimate reason not to - find out more about face coverings here
- Respecting others’ space and keeping a safe distance from people you do not live with.
There are some areas of the building where you may need to pause and wait for others to pass.
- Using the hand sanitiser provided
- Checking in using the NHS COVID-19 app by scanning NHS QR code, or complete a NHS Test and Trace form - find out more about Test and Trace here
Help other customers be able to use the library by not staying longer than you need to.
You must not visit the library if you, or anyone in your household, have had any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
Just contact us or call the library and we will happily extend the collection date for your books.
Yes, the number of PCs in use will be limited and you will only be allowed one session of 45 minutes per day; printing will be available. Please book your session using the online booking form here.
Cleaning materials will be provided; we advise that you clean the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and PC both before and after your visit.
However, you can still request individual titles for free using Arena, the library app, or by calling the library. These will be on collection shelves in the library, please issue them using the self-service machines.
The following services are not available at the moment:
- Some areas of stock will not be accessible;
For example the board books, picture books, early readers and beginning to read books will not be accessible, however there will be bundles of books available to borrow
- Study space
- Seating - please do not sit on the floor
- Newspapers and magazines
- Room hire
- The Heritage Library
- Reading Group Service
- Inter-Library Loans
There is still an amazing range of library services you can access from home via the Virtual Library, including eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, newspapers and music. Find out more about our digital resources here.
From 19 July 2021 it is recommended that venues continue to enable visitors to check in using the NHS COVID-19 app. We have NHS QR code posters on display as well as paper forms if you do not have the app. This information is stored for 21 days and will only be shared with the NHS if they contact us because a customer has tested positive.
Yes, you can join the library. We would recommend that you join online first as this will speed the process up.
Once you have joined you can follow a link in the confirmation message to request a physical card to borrow books or use the computers. This will send a message to your library of choice and they will make the card up ready for your visit. Then all you need to do is visit with proof of your name and address to collect the card.
Yes, you can request your replacement card here
Once you have completed the form your chosen library will transfer your details from your current card to a new one and within 3 days you can visit to collect it.
Please be aware that once the library has created a new card for you your current card number will not allow you to log in to Arena and the library app, BorrowBox, Freegal, Libby and PressReader.
You can request individual titles for free using Arena, the library app, or by calling the library. These will be placed on the collection shelves, all you need to do is collect and issue them using the self service kiosks.
If you have any questions then please Contact Us.
Page last updated: 19th July 2021