c.1330: The present church probably stands on the site of an earlier building. The south arcade dates from about 1300 and the north wall was rebuilt in the 14th century. The tower dates from the 15th century.
1767: Tilsworth Enclosure Act.
1821: Tombstone in Tilsworth churchyard which reads 'to the memory of a female unknown found murdered August 15th 1821' The body of an unknown woman was discovered in Blackgrove Wood with her 'throat cut from ear to ear'. Her murderer was never found and her identity was never discovered.
1862: Methodist Chapel built.
1886: Tilsworth May Day song recorded in Bedfordshire Notes and Queries. On May-day eve it was the custom at Tilsworth for some of the young men of the village to go round to the different houses and leave a branch of May for every maiden in each house sticking in the ground of leaving in the building.
1973: Archaeological excavations carried out at Warren Knoll revealed that the ditch was 6m wide and 2.45m deep (Leighton Buzzard Observer, 3rd January, 1995)
1990: Methodist Chapel closed and demolished.
1995: Warren Knoll declared an Ancient Monument by English Heritage (Leighton Buzzard Observer, 3rd January, 1995). Warren Knoll was built by William Peverel, who at the time of the Domesday Survey held Tilsworth. The Norman motte castle formed part of the series of defences controlling the valleys to the west of Watling Street and was later used as a warren for breeding rabbits. The castle appears to have been occupied until the early 15th century when Tilsworth Manor was built. The castle only survives as a motte.
- Newspaper Cuttings Collection in the Local Studies Library at Bedford Central Library.
- PICKFORD, Christopher Bedfordshire Churches in the 19th Century Vol.79 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society. 2000
- Victoria County History of Bedfordshire Vol.2 1908
Page last updated: 4th February 2014