It is not known when the cross was carved or if this is indeed the original cross but a cross is thought to have been a cross in the village since the 1200s.
The earliest mention of a cross at Stevington is in the Hundred Roll of 1279. The design of the present Cross indicates it is of 13th century origin. The base and steps were repaired in 1888.
Stevington Cross has been associated with John Bunyan's conversion (notably by Vera Brittain) although there is no evidence that Bunyan ever visited Stevington.
Stevington Cross by Bedfordshire Libraries, 2006
Page last updated: 4th February 2014