1234: St. Giles Chapel was in existence by this date. It was originally a manorial chapel for Sharpenhoe Manor. During the later Medieval period the chapel was taken over by the inhabitants of Sharpenhoe who were granted a licence to worship in 1416.
17th Century: Free School founded in the late 17th century, the original school demolished was in 1820 and a new one built. It was closed when the new Board School opened in Streatley in 1883.
19th Century: Coprolites were dug from the gault clay north and north east of Sharpenhoe during the late 19th century. Coprolites were phosphatic pellets thought to be the fossilized faeces of reptiles. When extracted they were used as a fertiliser. Coprolites were known locally as "dinosaur dung"
1820: The School House built at a cost of 165, it replaced an earlier building on the site known as Sharpenhoe Free School; this had become very dilapidated by the early 19th century. Eight poor children were taught free while others were paid for by their parents.
1824: The Horse Shoe Public House opened by this date, it was demolished in 1844 and replaced by a new public house opposite.
1850s: Sharpenhoe Bury built.
1858: Primitive Baptist Chapel built, the building closed during the 20th century and was converted into a private house in 1981.
- Newspaper articles in The Local Studies Library at Bedford Central Library.
- Victoria County History of Bedfordshire 3 Vols. 1912.
- PICKFORD, Christopher Bedfordshire Churches in the 19th Century Vol.79 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society. 2000.
- COLEMAN, Stephen. Streatley with Sharpenhoe. 1987.
Page last updated: 4th February 2014