1269: The earliest recorded Rector of Maulden was Gerard de Ely, although the survival of a late 12th century font indicates the existence of an older church in the area.
1656: The Mausoleum built by Thomas Bruce, 1st Earl of Elgin after the death of his second wife, Diana Countess of Oxford. The Earl built the Mausoleum at ground level to hold her memorial and those of other family members, above a crypt which held their coffins. It was one of the first two mausoleums built in England.
1796: Two hundred villagers rioted against partial allotment and enclosure of Maulden Moor for peat and turf cutting. A troop of cavalry from Ampthill was called in to quell the riot.
1836: The date of the last burial in the Mausoleum.
1849: The National School built by the Rev. Charles Ward with money raised by public subscriptions, on land given by the Duke of Bedford.
1857: Two coffins in the Mausoleum were removed to the family vault in Wiltshire, leaving the earlier burials in the Mausoleum, where they are today.
1858-59: The whole church with the exception of the tower and part of the north aisle was rebuilt in the 14th century style. The Mausoleum was also rebuilt and although previously linked to the church it was made into a separate structure.
1880: A mixed school built by the Duke of Bedford and leased to the School Board for 1 per annum. The former National School became the Infants School.
1920: War Memorial unveiled.
1921: Maulden Wood purchased by The Forestry Commission.
1966: Village Hall opened, the cost of the building was 11,400.
1968: The Old National School demolished.
2002: The Mausoleum given a 117,000 makeover with grants from the Lottery and Landfill Tax fund, plus support from local authorities and other organisations.
Page last updated: 3rd February 2014