c1781: High Street Leagrave Methodist Society was in existence by this date, where the Society worshipped in the early years is not known.
1811: First reference to the Three Horseshoes Public House.
1822: The first reference to the Royal Oak Public House as a beer house.
1824: Leagrave Methodist Church opens on the 3rd June, with a gallery added in 1829.
1850: Leagrave Hall built.
1866: The parish of Leagrave was formed.
1868: Leagrave Railway Station opened.
1876: Leagrave School built.
1880: The Methodist Church demolished and a new church built.
1895: Leagrave became a separate parish within Luton Rural.
1900: Leagrave School enlarged.
1910: Iron Mission Church opened.
1914: Hewlett & Blondeau an aircraft manufacturing firm opened a factory called The Omnia Works. During the First World War the factory produced more than 800 aircraft and employed up to 700 people.
1920: The Omnia factory closes.
1926: Electrolux buys the Omnia factory site and the Electrolux factory opens on the 18th May 1927.
1928: Leagrave parish abolished and Leagrave becomes part of Luton.
1929: On the 12th June Lea Ward Branch Library opened.
1936-37: Dual purpose church and hall built.
1944: Lea Ward Branch Library renamed Leagrave Branch Library
1947: On the 16th June the church and church hall burnt down.
1955: On the 20th April the foundation stone was laid by the Duchess of Kent for St.Luke's Church and the parish church was opened on the 2nd June 1956.
1956: Moorland School opened in Leagrave Hall.
1962: Church Hall built.
1976: New library erected on the old site opened.
1989: The Three Horseshoes Public House demolished. The new Mount Pleasant Methodist Church opens.
1994: Electrolux granted planning permission to expand its Oakley Road-Linden Road site.
1998: Electrolux Factory in Oakley Road shuts down. (Luton News, 30th September)
2005: Electrolux announces that the headquarters of Electrolux Major Appliances was moving from Slough to the Oakley Road site. (Luton News, 6th July)
- The newspapers cuttings collection at Bedford Central Library.
- PICKFORD, C. Bedfordshire Churches in the 19th Century Part 4. B.H.R.S. Vol.80 2001
- PEAPLE, C. The Blockers' Seaside : Leagrave before The Great War. 1979.
Page last updated: 30th January 2014