13th Century: St. Michael and All Angels Church has a 13th century chancel and a 14th century nave.
1698: Eggington House built for the Huguenot family of Reynal - refugees from Montauban in Languedoc - who became tailors in the City of London.
1928: The suffragette Sylvia Pankhurst stays at Eggington House as the guest of John and Joan Hodgson shortly after the birth of her son.
1836: The Plough Inn granted its first licence, it closed after 1914 and is now Plough Cottage.
1837: Eggington made an Ecclesiastical Parish within the Diocese of Ely.
1840: Eggington Enclosure Act passed.
1840: The Independent Chapel opened on the 12th November. In the Ecclesiastical Census of 1851 there was an average attendance of 55 adults and 50 scholars in the mornings with 63 in the congregation at the evening services.
1845: The Methodist Chapel built, the 1851 census listed 29 people attending afternoon services with 77 in the evenings.
1851: The religious census for St. Michael and All Angels Church showed that the afternoon congregation was 72 persons and the Sunday school numbered 58 children.
1876: A roof fire destroyed much of the 13th century church although four of the original pews were saved. The church was rebuilt a year later by Henry Edwards and Sons.
1880: Eggington School opened.
1922: First tractor was bought by Messrs J. Batchelar & Son, it was a 10-20 Red International with iron wheels.
1932: Iron Age skeleton discovered in a sand pit behind Manor Farm. The skeleton is now in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons.
1952: Eggington Women's Institute formed.
1979: Eggington Post Office and General Stores closes.
1983: Eggington School closes, at the time of closure there were just 14 pupils. The building is now The Village Hall and Community Centre.
1985: Eggington Cricket Club's new pavilion opened in February at a cost of £42,000.
- The Newspaper Cuttings Collection in the Local Studies Library at Bedford Central Library.
- The History of Eggington by G. Calder, 1985.
Page last updated: 22nd April 2014