13th Century: The oldest parts of the church date from this period.
1702: Joseph Neale endowed a school for boys.
1762: Lower Dean Post Mill built, it was substantially rebuilt in 1834, the structure collapsed in 1959.
1800: Dean Enclosure Act passed.
1820s: Dean House built. In the stable loft was found the log book of HMS Leviathan, one of the ships under Nelson's command at Trafalgar.
1846: Methodist Chapel erected.
1863: Congregational Chapel built.
1876: Village School built at a cost of 700 and could accommodate 112 children.
1921: Granite Cross erected in churchyard to the memory of those who died in the 1914-18 War.
1946: Dean Grange Preparatory School opened. The building was originally a private house, then a training centre for the army and then a prisoner of war camp.
1973: New Primary School opened.
1981: Madge and Charlotte Dalton, sisters who grew up in Dean House left over 80,000 in a charity fund for the village. They specified that the money should be used to benefit children, old people or community projects like the village hall.
1996: Dean Grange Preparatory School closes.
- Newspaper Cuttings Collection at Bedford Central Library
Page last updated: 23rd January 2014