1086: Manor of Clophill mentioned in the Domesday survey. It was held with the Manor of Cainhoe. The Manor of Clophill was assessed at 5 hides and that of Cainhoe at 4 hides. After the Norman Conquest, the Manor passed to Nigel d'Albini. Although Cainhoe Castle is not mentioned in the survey the earthwork known as Castle Hill was evidently the seat of his Barony.
1376: Ten houses in Clophill stand empty as a result of the Black Death.
1801: The population of Clophill stands at 706 people. There are 143 houses in the village.
1848: New St. Mary's Church built opposite the Rectory. The first stone was laid by the Archdeacon of Bedford on July 19th.
1849: New St. Mary's Church consecrated by the Bishop of Ely in the presence of Earl Grey, Viscount Fordwicke, Viscount Boyle, the Archdeacon of Bedford and many other clergy.
1853: Clock in the St.Mary's church tower installed. It was built by Paine of 39 High Street Bloomsbury who described himself as 'Public Horologist to Her Majesty'.
1871: The population of Clophill stands at 1220 people.
1925: Three houses in Clophill High Street struck by lightning in a large thunderstorm (Reported in The Times 20th May).
1934: 'Old' St. Mary's church closed except for funerals and an annual commemorative service (reported in The Times 3rd September).
1961: A6 murder takes place just outside Clophill at Deadman's Hill. The prosecution alleged that James Hanratty murdered Michael Gregsten and attacked and shot Valerie Storie. Hanratty was found guilty and sentenced to death. He was hanged in Bedford Prison in April 1962. Hanratty's family campaigned for many years to clear his name but in 2002 Hanratty's conviction was upheld at the Court of Appeal and a bid to take the case to the House of Lords was rejected.
1973: Excavations undertaken at Cainhoe Castle. The remains of an iron dagger were found which was in common usage in the fifteenth century by both soldiers and civilians.
2004: 250,000 Lottery Grant for a new village hall. The new facility is planned to be built behind the current hall in Kiln Lane.
- Cainhoe Castle Excavations by Alison Taylor and Peter Woodward in Bedfordshire Archaeological Journal, Vol. 10, 1975
- The cleft in the hills, the historical development of a Bedfordshire village by the Rev. W. A. M. Grant
- The Clophill story by Mary Phillips
Page last updated: 23rd January 2014