By the 1830s the expansion of Bedford towards the North West was beginning to put pressure on the existing churches in the town. So a decision was made to build a new church in the parish of St. Paul's. After a site was found the foundation stone was laid on the 18th June 1839 and the completed church and burial ground was consecrated on the 29th June 1841 by the Bishop of Ely. Designed by John Brown of Norwich the church had seating for 1,400.
The church was declared redundant in 1974 and in 1979 the building was acquired by the Harpur Trust for use as an annex to the Bedford High School for Girls. Its external appearance remains unaltered but the interior has been adapted for school use.
- PICKFORD, C. Bedfordshire Churches in the 19th Century, Part 4. Bedfordshire Historical Record Society. Volume 80. 2001
- Newspaper Cuttings Collection, Local Studies Library, Bedford Central Library
Holy Trinity Church, by Bedfordshire Libraries, 2009
Page last updated: 22nd January 2014