Bedford Borough Council logo Central Bedfordshire Council logo

The Virtual Library

Follow us on Pinterest Follow us on Twitter Contact us on Facebook Home Page What's On Contact Us Help

The White Horse

Bedford > Hotels, Inns and Public Houses > The White Horse

The White Horse

The White Horse, which stood on the corner of Midland Road and Harpur Street, was one of Bedfords oldest public houses. Of timber-framed construction, with a 'jetty' (overhanging upper floor), it probably dated from at least the 16th century, with Georgian sash windows which had reglazed by the Victorians on the ground floor. With corner sites being much favoured by chain stores, The White Horse was demolished in 1929 and replaced by Marks and Spencers. The pub name and licence were transferred to new premises in Newnham Avenue. Murdochs music shop (extreme left) was pulled down in about 1937 to extend Marks & Spencers.   (Bedfordshire Times, not dated)

Page last updated: 6th May 2014