Bedford Borough Libraries launch Select and Collect Service
Bedford Borough Council will begin the phased reopening of libraries with a free Select and Collect Service at Bedford Central and Kempston Libraries from Thursday 20th August.
Opening hours at these libraries have temporarily changed and it isn't possible to freely browse the shelves at the moment. Our new Select and Collect Service allows you to borrow library books according to your preferences, which can then be collected from the library entrances during opening hours.
This is the first step in the reopening of libraries. Our approach to reopening is informed by government guidance and our main priority continues to be the health and safety of customers and staff.
Which services are available
Bedford Central Library and Kempston Library are now open for the following services, which are available at the library entrances during opening hours:
- Select and Collect – pre-order a selection of up to 10 books (4 books for instant and online registered members)
- Request a specific book title using Arena, the online catalogue
- Return your books.
Select and Collect Opening Hours:
Bedford Central Library
Monday to Friday 11.00am – 1.00pm
Saturday 10.00am – 1.00pm
Tuesday & Thursday 10.00am – 12.30pm
Saturday 9.30am – 12.30pm
The Select and Collect phone line (01234 718178) is open Monday to Saturday 11.00am – 4.00pm.
You must not visit the library if you, or anyone in your household, have had any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
Just contact us or call the Select and Collect Line on 01234 718178 and we will happily extend the collection date for your books, or someone from outside your household could collect them for you.
Please remember you must wear a face covering when visiting a library, unless you have a legitimate reason not to.
We are delighted to have begun the reopening of libraries. Select and Collect at Bedford Central and Kempston libraries is the first step in this process, but we appreciate that it is not the full range of services that customers are used to.
We have developed a phased approach to reopening in line with national guidelines for the safe reopening of libraries. We are keeping this plan under continual review and will reintroduce other services when it is possible to do so safely for both customers and staff. Please check here and our Facebook page for updates.
The following services are not available at the moment:
- Select and Collect is initially running from Bedford Central and Kempston libraries – updates about the reopening of other libraries will follow
- The Mobile Library is not currently running due to the challenges involved with operating in a confined space
- Customer browsing of titles in libraries
- Computer access
- Printing and photocopying
- Study space
- Newspapers and magazines
- Activities – many of our activities have moved online
- Room hire
- The Heritage Library.
There is still an amazing range of library services you can access from home via the Virtual Library, including eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, newspapers and music.
Find out more about our digital resources here.
Reservations and Charges
- Items already on loan, and not overdue on Friday 20th March, continue to have their due dates extended
- Overdue charges remain paused for any items that were overdue as of Friday 20th March
- The loan period will be temporarily extended from 3 to 6 weeks for any items issued in August and September
- There are currently no reservation fees associated with Select and Collect or individual title requests
- Reservation collection dates have been extended, so any reservations made prior to closure should be available when libraries reopen.
If you have any questions then please Contact Us.
Page last updated: 21stth August 2020