Bedford Borough Libraries Select and Collect Service
We are continuing to offer Select and Collect services from Bedford Central and Kempston libraries during the period of national restrictions coming into effect from 5th November.
The Select and Collect Service allows you to order a selection of books based on your preferences online or by phone, for collection at the entrances of Bedford Central and Kempston libraries. You can also request a specific book title for collection.
We have extended the return date for all items on loan, which were not overdue on the 20th March.
Which services are available
Bedford Central Library and Kempston Library are open for the following services, which are available at the library entrances during opening hours:
- Select and Collect – pre-order a selection of up to 10 books (4 books for instant and online registered members)
- Request a specific book title using Arena, the online catalogue
Select and Collect Opening Hours:
Bedford Central Library
Monday to Friday 11.00am – 1.00pm
Saturday 10.00am – 1.00pm
Tuesday & Thursday 10.00am – 12.30pm
Saturday 9.30am – 12.30pm
The Select and Collect phone line (01234 718178) is open Monday to Saturday 11.00am – 4.00pm.
Books can be returned at library entrances during these hours, however we will be extending the return date for all items on loan, which were not overdue on the 20th March.
You must not visit the library if you, or anyone in your household, have had any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
Just contact us or call the Select and Collect Line on 01234 718178 and we will happily extend the collection date for your books.
Please remember you must wear a face covering when visiting a library, unless you have a legitimate reason not to.
We are delighted to offer Select and Collect at Bedford Central and Kempston libraries but we appreciate that it is not the full range of services that customers are used to.
We have developed a phased approach to reopening in line with national guidelines for the safe reopening of libraries. We are keeping this plan under continual review and will reintroduce other services when it is possible to do so safely for both customers and staff. Please check here and our Facebook page for updates.
The following services are not available at the moment:
- Select and Collect is initially running from Bedford Central and Kempston libraries – updates about the reopening of other libraries will follow
- The Mobile Library is not currently running due to the challenges involved with operating in a confined space
- Customer browsing of titles in libraries
- Computer access
- Printing and photocopying
- Study space
- Newspapers and magazines
- Activities – many of our activities have moved online
- Room hire
- The Heritage Library.
There is still an amazing range of library services you can access from home via the Virtual Library, including eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, newspapers and music.
Find out more about our digital resources here.
Reservations and Charges
- Items already on loan, and not overdue on Friday 20th March, continue to have their due dates extended
- Overdue charges remain paused for any items that were overdue as of Friday 20th March
- The loan period has been temporarily extended from 3 to 6 weeks for all items issued
- There are currently no reservation fees associated with Select and Collect or individual title requests
- Reservation collection dates have been extended, so any reservations made prior to closure should be available when libraries reopen.
If you have any questions then please Contact Us.
Page last updated: 5th November 2020