Wills and Probate
Overview and links
- Follow the relevant links at the Death and Bereavement section of the official government site, GOV.UK
Probate Service guidance and forms
- You can find probate forms and guidance at the Applying for Probate page on the GOV.UK site which is part of their What to do when someone dies: step by step section
- There are contact details on the Probate: General Enquiries page on HM Customs and Revenue (HMRC)
- You can find guidance, news and advice at the Law Society's Private Client page, select the relevant topic.
- The Age Concern England web site gives information for people aged over 60. At Information and advice > Legal Issues see 'What to do when someone dies' for a brief overview and see 'Dealing with someone's estate - FS14' for more detail
- There are a number of probate registries and sub-registries around the country. In addition there are local probate offices where probate interviews take place if they are necessary
- If you need to go to a local probate office, you have to arrange it with the relevant probate registry or sub-registry
- For probate registry details see Directory of probate registries and appointment venues on the GOV.UK web site
- If you need to find a company's historical share price to help settle probate, see Where can I find company share prices?
In the Library
- You can search the library catalogue for books on wills and probate
Page last updated: 1st December 2020