Bedford Borough Council logo Central Bedfordshire Council logo

The Virtual Library

Follow us on Pinterest Follow us on Twitter Contact us on  Facebook Home  Page What's On Contact Us Help

Benefits and Tax Credits

A-Z How to Find Information > Money and Benefits

Who deals with the main benefits and tax credits?

  • Stack of pound coins The state pension and a range of working age, disability and ill health benefits are dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions, through Jobcentre Plus, the Pension Service, the Child Maintenance Service and partner organisations.
  • Housing benefit, council tax and council tax benefit are dealt with by local councils
  • Child benefits and tax credits and dealt with by HM Revenue and Customs

How can I contact local and national offices?

What am I entitled to?

  • You can find official information at GOV.UK
  • Find information about financial support available through welfare benefits, grants and other help at the site of charitable service Turn2Us. The site includes the Turn2Us Benefits Calculator to help you work out your entitlements
  • See the 'Debt and Money' section of the Citizens Advice website for helpful explanations about help to which you may be entitled
  • For more web sites, see Benefits, Pensions and Tax on WebLinks
  • You can consult the annual book 'Welfare Benefits and Tax Credits Handbook' at some libraries. This comprehensive guide is 'fully indexed and cross-referenced to law, regulations and official guidance, and also to court and commissioners' decisions. Information is fully cross-referenced between the social security and tax systems'.
    You can also consult at many libraries the annual guide to benefits and services for people with disabilities, the 'Disability Rights Handbook'
    Search the Arena, library catalogue, to find these books.

Page last updated: 3rd March 2021