Might the person you are looking for have married?
- If the person you are looking for has married, you could find out the district in which the marriage took place by searching for the person's name in the index to the marriages register. This may indicate that the person (or the spouse) was living in that area at the time, although that would not necessarily be so in every case
- For more details of the marriages index and how to view it, see the Marriages Index section in Local and Family History
- If you order a copy of the marriage certificate itself you will find further details that might set you off on another trail
- The marriage certificate will give you details including the names of the bride and groom, the district in which the marriage was registered, where the marriage took place, the rank or profession of the bride and groom and their addresses at the time of marriage
- A woman may have married and changed her name so it would be useful for you to find her married name
- If you are looking for a man, it might be helpful to discover the name of the person he married. For example, if you search the electoral registers online or on CD-ROM and find several people with the same name, you could check for his wife's name too and match up the addresses
- For more details of marriage certificates and how to order them, see Marriage Certificates page in the Local and Family History section.
Page last updated: 28th May 2020