14th Century: The church is mainly 14th century, its northern and southern doorways and the east and west aisles date from this century. The nave windows, tower and roofs of the nave and aisles are from the 15th century. The font is mid 13th century and comes from an earlier church on the site.
18th Century: The mill that was present on the site in the 18th century was known as Barton Mill because the structure had been removed from its original site in Barton. The mill was burnt down sometime between 1792 and 1826.
18th Century: Streatley Hall built during this period.
1770: The church steeple collapsed and the church fell into disrepair.
1820c: The Chequers Public House was trading by this time.
c1830: The Red Lion Public House built, it was closed during The First World War and is now a private house.
1856: Streatley Enclosure Act.
c1870: Baptist Church built, it was replaced by a new chapel in 1931 which closed in the 1980s. The site is now occupied by a private house.
1883: Village School opened on the 4th June. The first entry in the school log book was "I Eleanor Howgill opened Streatley Board School this morning 4th June 1883. 10 boys and 16 girls presented themselves, very clean and tidy looking."
1895: School closed for a week in June due to an outbreak of diphtheria which caused the death of one child.
1899: In the church the old chancel was rebuilt.
1908: Fire destroys The Chequers Public House which was completely rebuilt.
1917: The church was in such a dilapidated condition that it was closed.
1938: Major restoration work carried out on the church by Albert Richardson and the church reopened.
1986: Village school demolished and houses built on the site.
- Newspaper articles in The Local Studies Library at Bedford Central Library.
- COLEMAN, Stephen. Streatley with Sharpenhoe. 1987.
- PICKFORD, Christopher Bedfordshire Churches in the 19th Century Vol.79 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society. 2000.
- Victoria County History of Bedfordshire 3 Vols. 1912.
Page last updated: 4th February 2014