Lyson's Magna Britannia
Extract from Lysons' Magna Britannia being a concise topographical account of several counties of Great Britain by the Rev. Daniel Lysons, A.M., F.R.S. F.A. and L.S. Rector of Rodmarton in Gloucestershire and Samuel Lysons, Esq., F.R.S. and F.A.S. Keeper of His Majesty's Records in the Tower of London, 1806
In the hundred of Clifton, lies about five miles south east of Shefford, on the borders of Hertfordshire, near the road to Bladock. A manor in Stotfold, which was parcel of the barony of Bedford, and descended by female heirs to the Mowbrays and Berkeleys, was given by the Marquis of Berkeley to Sir Reginald Bray. This by the name of Lord Brays manor, is the property of Issac Hindley esq. who purchased it, in 1786, of the Dentons, whose ancestor acquired it in like manner of the Ansells in the year 1617. Another manor in Stotfold was given by one of the Beauchamps, Barons of Bedford, to the priory of Newenham; and, after the Reformation, was granted in 1546 to Richard Kyrke. After having been for a short time in the families of Butler and Ansell, it passed to the Lyttons, of whose descendents it was purchased, in 1795, by the present proprietor, Mr John Williamson. The Masterand Scholars of Trinity College are patrons of the vicarage, and impropriators of the great tithes, which, with the rectorial manor are now vested in the College, was given by Simon de Beauchamp to the priory of Chicksand.
Page last updated: 4th February 2014