Bedford Borough Council logo Central Bedfordshire Council logo

The Virtual Library

Follow us on Pinterest Follow us on Twitter Contact us on Facebook Home Page What's On Contact Us Help


Places > Shelton

12th Century: The east end of the north arcade of the church dates from the late 12th century and the south aisle may also have been built by 1300. The chancel was rebuilt in the 13th century.

1794: Shelton Enclosure Act.

1876: Village School opened.

1917: The first branch of the Women's Institute in Bedfordshire started and specialised in the making of pillow lace.   

1931: Extensive renovation of the church by Professor Albert Richardson.

1994: The Exhibition Public House closes.


  • Newspaper articles in Bedford Central Local Studies Collection
  • Victoria County History of Bedfordshire. 3 Vols. 1912.
  • PICKFORD, Chris  Bedfordshire Churches in the 19th Century Vol.79 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society 2000.

Page last updated: 4th February 2014