11th Century: Segenhoe church built.
1276: Mention of a castle at Segenhoe which was occupied by the Barons of Wahull..
1818-19: The church repaired by Robert Nixon of Woburn.
1823-26: New tower erected.
1853: Much repair work was needed on the church so it was decided to build a new one at a more convenient location. The old church was retained as a mortuary chapel, the graveyard continuing in use.
1927: Last services held in Segenhoe church. The Duke of Bedford decided to demolish the church but stopped the work when a number of features of interest came to light. As a result restoration work was restarted.
1970: The church continued to deteriorate, by 1970 the roof had virtually collapsed.
1980: The church formally declared redundant.
1982: The church ruins consolidated by Bedfordshire County Council, with 28,000 being spent to make the Grade 1 listed building safe.
- Newspaper Cuttings Collection at Bedford Central Library
- DAWSON, Dick. Lost Villages of Bedfordshire. 2007.
Page last updated: 4th February 2014