1086 Watermill recorded in the Domesday Book.
13th Century: The earliest parts of the church, the nave and south aisle are late 13th century although there was a church here at an earlier date as the list of incumbents goes back to 1229. The chancel is of the 14th century.
1814c: Wesleyan Chapel built.
1860c: The Village School opened.
1867 Major restoration work on the church with work on chancel, walls and roof. The church was re-opened on the 16th October.
1905: The Swan public house gutted by fire when some straw stored on the premises caught fire. The inn was rebuilt.
1920: The Lynch Gate at the entrance to the churchyard erected as a war memorial.
1939-45: Salford water mill working until river works required the removal of the wheel during the Second World War. It was a small mill with only one set of stones but had a 16 foot wheel and an 8 foot fall.
1952: The Village School closes.
1971 Victorian fittings removed from the chancel in the church.
- The newspapers cuttings collection at Bedford Central Library.
- PICKFORD, C. Bedfordshire Churches in the 19th Century. Beds Historical Record Soc. Vol.73 1994.
Page last updated: 3rd February 2014