Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire 1894
Salford is a parish and village on the Buckinghamshire border, 2 1/4 miles north-west from Ridgmont and 3 miles west from Woburn Sands stations on the Bedford and Bletchley branch of the North western railway, 53 1/2 miles from London, 12 south west from Bedford, and 5 north from Woburn, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Manshead, petty sessional division and union of Woburn, county court district of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The church of St Mary, restored in 1867, under the direction of Mr W. White, is an edifice of interesting character, in the Early Decorated style, with traces of 11th century work, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and an open western belfry of oak, placed outside the church and containing 3 bells: the former tower, a modern brick structure, was removed on the repair of the church; the nave is divided from from the aisle by an arcade of four curious piers of Early charactor; in the south aisle is a piscina and a flat recessed arch, richly cusped and crocketed, within which, on a low alter-tomb, is a recumbent effigy, cross-legged, of a warrior; there is also a large coped alter-tomb, the top of which is incised with a cross, a third and very similar tomb, with a flat top, bears thereon also a cross with pendant shield: there is a brass with effigies, to John Peddar, 1505, his wife Alice, and 12 children: several Early stone coffins have been found: there are sittings for 180 persons. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1558; marriages, 1561.The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Holcot, average tithe rent-charge 102, joint net yearly value 242, including 120 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1865 by the Rev. Botelier Chernocke Smith B.A. of Trinity College, Oxford, and rural dean of Fleete, who resides at Holcot. The charities of the joint parishes of Salford and Holcot amount to about 30 yearly, and are distributed under a scheme approved by the Charity Commissioners. All Souls College, Oxford, who are lords of the manor, and Major C. Villiers S. Downes, who is impropriator of Salford great tithes, are the principal landowners. The soil is gravel and loam: subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, beans and peas. The area is 900 acres; rateable value 1,113; population in 1891 was 178.
Sexton, Jesse Bennett.
Letters through Bletchley, arrive at 8.45 a.m.; dispatched at 4.20 p.m. Aspley Guise is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
School (mixed), erected in 1867, for 74 children; average attendance, 50; Miss Louisa Saxby, mistress.
|Bass Saml. miller (water)||Salford mill|
|Bosworth George, farmer|
|Chappell George, corn & coal dealer|
|Denton Charles||Old Swan P.H. & butcher|
|Emmerton Caleb, clock & watch maker|
|Emmerton Robert, farmer|
|Juggins William, farmer||Doles farm|
|Lane Goerge, blacksmith|
|Odell Robert, farmer|
|Sturges Barnard Charnock, farmer|
|Summerford Wm., carpenter & shopkpr.|
Page last updated: 3rd February 2014