Radwell Bridge, consisting of six arches was built by Sir Thomas Morris in 1766 for 292 10s, replacing a ford. In 1806 it was made a county bridge at which time another arch was added on the Felmersham or Radwell side.
In February 1831 floods caused considerable damage and extensive building works costing 139 6s were carried out. More work was done in 1858-59 when wing walls were rebuilt with massive rounded terminals and repairs to the cutwaters carried out.
In the 20th century a concrete foot causeway was added across the very low flood plain on the Milton Ernest side.
- SIMCO, A and McKEAGUE, P. Bridges of Bedfordshire. 1977
Radwell Bridge, by Bedfordshire Libraries, 2012
Page last updated: 4th February 2014