The County School
Bedfordshire Illustrated: photographic views of Bedford, Luton, Leighton Buzzard, Dunstable and Woburn
This extensive and well appointed building of red brick, in the Elizabethan style, with a clock tower in the centre of the south-eastern front, and standing in the grounds which occupy an area of 22acres. The County School is carried on by a company founded in 1866, and comprising many public men resident in the county, for the purpose of giving boys of the middle class a good modern education. The cost of the land and buildings was about 28,000; they include headmaster's residence, class rooms, master's apartments, chapel, dining hall, library, dormitory for 300 boys, an excellent gymnasium, swimming baths, laboratory etc. The School is situated in the parish of Kempston between Ampthill road and the Midland main line. The Headmaster is the Rev. C. F. Farrar, M.A.
Extract from: Bedfordshire Illustrated: photographic views of Bedford, Luton, Leighton Buzzard, Dunstable and Woburn.
Page last updated: 30th January 2014