The Lock-Up was built in 1825 when the village constable used it for temporary imprisonment of offenders until they were taken before the magistrates in the nearby courthouse. By the turn of the century it was mostly used for storing lamp and oil.
The last known incarceration was in 1967 when a local character won a bet by remaining inside for 48 hours.
- The Newspaper Cuttings Collection, Local Studies Library, Bedford Central Library.
Harrold Lock-up, by Bedfordshire Libraries, 2012
Page last updated: 7th January 2016