Bedford Borough Council logo Central Bedfordshire Council logo

The Virtual Library

Follow us on Pinterest Follow us on Twitter Contact us on Facebook Home Page What's On Contact Us Help


Places > Harlington

1086: Nigel D'Albini is listed as Lord of the Manor of Harlington in the Domesday survey. Harlington was part of the Barony of Cainhoe, based at Cainhoe Castle in Clophill. D'Albini took over the Manor after displacing four Saxon thegns who lost their lands at the time of the Norman Conquest

1300-50: Church of St Mary the Virgin built. It is constructed of Tottenhoe stone (sometimes known as 'clunch') and was built near or over the top of an earlier wooden structure. The tower was added in the 15th century

1349: The black death ravaged Harlington and more than one quarter of the population of the village died including the Vicar

1442-1471: John Benet, a chronicler of some note, is the Vicar of Harlington

16th Century: Harlington Manor (previously known as Harlington House) probably dates to this period. Charles II (1660-1685) is reputed to have slept here

1660: On the 12th November John Bunyan, the author of Pilgrim's Progress, was brought before Francis Wingate for questioning at Harlington House. Bunyan was accused of preaching illegally and as a result he was committed for trial and spent 12 years in the County Gaol in Bedford

1828: Methodism first established in the village

1841: Population of the village totals 521

1851: Population of the village totals 597

1859: The first village school built by George Butler, the vicar. It became a Board School in 1873 and a council school in 1898

1868: On the 13th July Harlington railway station was opened. It was built by the Midland Railway Company.  The renowned cricketer W.G. Grace used the station when he occasionally played cricket at Toddington Manor

1871: Population of the village totals 546

1871: The Harlington Arms built in Station Road, it became a private house in 1960

1902: A new cemetery constructed on the corner of Lincoln Way and Barton Road

1906: Bute Cottages in Westoning Road constructed

1914-1918: The First World War results in the loss of 27 Harlington men

1920: On the 9th May Harlington War Memorial was dedicated by the Rev. Arthur G. Hodgson, it cost 477

1990: Two Roman cremations found in situ on the north face of Sheepwalk hill in a field known as 'Wickhern'.  As a result a small scale excavation was undertaken and eight further cremations were recovered.  In 1994 more archaeological work was undertaken and the remaining parts of the cemetery cleared

1999: Harlington Church bells repaired

2007: Action Group formed by residents to fight the development on Green Belt land of a new stadium for Luton Town Football Club on a 250 acre site next to M1 at Junction 12. Campaign for Sustainable Harlington (CaSH) (Luton News, 7th March 2007)


Further Reading:


Page last updated: 28th January 2014