The Hartwell Almshouses were founded from the will of Richard Hartwell in 1734 and 1739. There were three houses provided for the use of not more than six people, of whom half had to be members of the Society of Friends. The other half had to have been residents in Cranfield Village. The houses were maintained by the income of Hartwell Farm situated in Court Road. The houses were rebuilt in 1834 and can be found at 35-39 High Street. They are set back from the road, next to the Methodist Church.
Richard Hartwell died on 16th June 1739. He was a Quaker and his grave can be found in the grounds of Hartwell Farm
- Victoria County History. Vol III.
- Cranfield its church and people, by M K Street
- Chronicles of Cranfield, by Frank Lord
- Cranfield, by Stephen Coleman
- Old Cranfield in the early part of the Twentieth Century by a native, by Doris Malsher
Hartwell Almshouses, by Bedfordshire Libraries, 2009
Page last updated: 23rd January 2014