1278: Chellington church built.
15th Century: There is some evidence that during the Great Plague years the villages burnt down their homes to prevent infection spreading and went to live in the church. After the plague finished they rebuilt their village on a nearby site.
1715: Sir Robert Darling born at Chellington, he became Sheriff of the City of London in the year 1767 and in the following year he was elected Member of Parliament for Wendover. He died in 1770, his elaborate tomb is in Chellington churchyard.
1769: Carlton and Chellington merged ecclesiastically by an Act of Parliament.
1805: Chellington Enclosure Award.
1824: The church steeple repaired.
1869: Considerable renovation work carried out on the church.
1934: The civil parish of Carlton and Chellington was formed under the North Bedfordshire Review Order 1934.
1970: The church bells removed. They were subsequently rehung at Little Gaddesden, Hertfordshire in 1977.
1972: Last service held in the church.
1978: Church became a Diocesan Youth Centre.
- Newspaper Cuttings Collection at Bedford Central Library
- PICKFORD, C. Bedfordshire Parish Churches in the 19th Century. Bedfordshire Historical Record Society Vol.73 1994.
- DAWSON, Dick. Lost Villages of Bedfordshire. 2007
Page last updated: 23rd January 2014