All Saints Church
The nave and the south aisle date to the late thirteenth century and the tower to the fifteenth century. The church was thoroughly restored between 1892 and 1896 by Arthur Wellesley Soames, a pupil of Blomfield.
The church has a number of interesting features including:
- a gravestone to the poet Robert Bloomfield who died at Shefford in 1823. His chief work was 'The Farmer's Boy' which sold 26,000 copies within three years of its publication in 1800 but did not prevent its author dying in poverty
- a seventeenth century chapel for the Osborne family of Chicksands Priory which contains two large marble altar tombs for Sir Peter and Sir John Osborne erected in 1655
- Bedfordshire churches in the nineteenth century, part 1, parishes A-G edited by Chris Pickford (BHRS, Vo. 73, 1994)
All Saints Church by Bedfordshire Libraries, 2005
Page last updated: 23rd January 2014