18th Century: Broom Hall built.
1788: Broom bridge collapses and is rebuilt in brick.
1823: Iron bridge built.
1826: The Plough Inn first licensed.
1836: The Cock Inn, High Street first licensed.
1851: The Black Horse first licensed.
1873: On the 18th February a two ton steam driven thrashing machine went over the parapet of Broom bridge all but destroying the bridge and resulting in the death of two men.
1898: Broom Hall purchased by Robert Oswald Fordham, MP.
1913: Fordham Almshouses built for the villagers from a bequest left by Mrs Ann Fordham.
1952: The Black Horse Inn closes. The Department of the Environment list Broom Hall as a Grade II listed building.
1956: The Plough Inn closes, there is now a bungalow on the site.
1962: Broom Hall is converted into self-contained flats.
1982: The village shop closes.
1984: Fordham Memorial Homes modernised. They were originally three very large homes lacking all modern facilities. By adding an extension, four one bedroom flats and one two bedroom semi detached dwelling were provided, all with new bathrooms and kitchens.
1992: Bedfordshire County Council give Tarmac Roadstone planning permission to set up a sand and gravel quarry at Broom in April.
1993: Repair work carried out on Broom bridge.
2008: Bedfordshire County Council grant Tarmac Roadstone planning permission to excavate a new 200 acre quarry site just south of the village.
Page last updated: 23rd January 2014