James Wyatt, a Bedford antiquary originally described a Palaeolithic (old stone age) site near Biddenham Church, in 1861. His report revealed that the gravel-working pit was an important source of Palaeolithic tools as well as extinct animal remains (he found quantities of bones and teeth including mammoth and rhinoceros).
Wyatt was delighted with these finds and reported them to members of the Geological Society. Within a few days he had received visits from Sir Charles Lyell, John Prestwich and Sir John Evans all noted geologists and archaeologists of their time.
In 1986 parts of the site were re-excavated by the Nature Conservancy Council. Five flakes were found within Deep Spinney pit.
- Bedfordshire Archaeological Journal, Vol. 19, 1991, p.87
- Flint implements in the drift in Bedfordshire, paper read to Bedfordshire Architectural and Archaeological Society, July 1861, by James Wyatt
Page last updated: 23rd January 2014