The Town and Country Club
The Town and County Club on The Embankment was built by architect Henry Cheers in 1885. The building incorporated a first floor balcony for watching activities on the river. The club catered mainly for retired Indian Army officers and in 1903 had a membership of 210.
After the club closed in 1954 the building was used as the County Library from 1957 to 1969. Bedford Borough Council demolished the building in 1971. The site is now part of the Swan Hotel car park.
- The Newspaper Cuttings collection, Local Studies Library, Bedford Central Library.
- FARRAR, V. Bedford 50 Years ago; the architecture of a County Town. 2007.
Town and Country Club, Bedford by Bedfordshire Libraries, 2014
Page last updated: 3rd September 2019