Bedford Borough Council logo Central Bedfordshire Council logo

The Virtual Library

Follow us on Pinterest Follow us on Twitter Contact us on Facebook Home Page What's On Contact Us Help

Historic Buildings
The Corn Exchange

Places > Bedford >Historic Buildings

Bedford’s first Corn Exchange often referred to as the Floral Hall on the Market Square was built in 1849 and opened on the 1st May 1850. Its purpose was to allow farmers to sell their produce indoors hence the buildings name. For a stall in the Corn Exchange the cost was three guineas a year while for those who had stands in the open air on the market square the cost was £2. 12s a year.

However, within twenty years the building had become too small and the farmers needed larger premises to sell their goods. On the 21st October 1872 the foundation stone of the new Corn Exchange was laid, the building being designed by Ladds and Powell at a cost of £9,000 and the Duke of Bedford opened the building on The 15th April 1874.


  • The Newspaper Cuttings Collection, Local Studies Library, Bedford Central Library
  • HAMSON, J. Bedford Town and Townsmen. 1896. ( a copy of this book is in The Heritage Library, Bedford Central Library)

The Corn Exchange, Bedford by Bedfordshire Libraries, 2014

Page last updated: 19th May 2014