Trade and Industry
Places > Bedford > Trade and Industry > Pyghtle Works
In 1896 John P. White purchased an acre of land from W,H, Allen and founded the Pyghtle Works for the manufacture of architectural joinery. Further pieces of land were acquired until the site eventually covered over three acres of land.
With the addition of larger premises Mr. White added the design and manufacture of garden furniture and ornaments. From 1906 showrooms and officers were opened in Bond Street, London.
With the declaration of war in 1939 the firm practically closed down as no new contracts were forthcoming, however the craftsmen were soon employed making aircraft parts including rudders and doors for Spitfires.
In June 1960 the firm merged with Samuel Elliott Ltd of Reading, the works closed and the premises and land sold to W.H.Allen. Although the firm no longer exists the work it produced remains for all to see in abbeys, cathedrals churches, hospitals and universities all over the country.
The Heritage Library, Local Studies Library, Bedford Central has a copy of their Garden Furniture and Ornament Catalogue c1900.
- Parker, Jean The Pyghtle Works. In The Bedfordshire Magazine Vol. 20 pp.265-273
Pyghtle Works by Bedfordshire Libraries, 2014
Page last updated: 7th May 2014