Reading with your Child
"Be awesome! Be a book nut!"
Sharing books with your children is fundamentally important for their development. Here are some tips on sharing books with your children:
- Show them you enjoy reading yourself - let them see it's fun
- Try to make time to read with your child - any time is a good time
- Make reading part of their routine
- Encourage your child to choose their own books
- Give them lots of praise
- Make reading part of your family's everyday life - from writing a shopping list to cooking together
- Have fun together!
- Come and visit the library - it's free!
How can the library help?
- Not sure what books to choose? Just ask at your local library or check out our recommendations online.
- Looking for Reading Series to help your child? The libraries have a range of reading series that can help your child to learn to read. Just ask the library staff for more information.
- Why not try these websites to get more ideas?
Why not join the library now?
Join your child as well, it’s the same process as joining yourself except you will need to sign as guarantor for what is borrowed.
If you are a member your own library card can be used as proof of ID. So join your child at your local library or join online now.
Fun at the library
It’s a great way to meet other parents and children too, and it’s completely free!
Page last updated: 14th July 2017