The Conspiracy of Magic Activity Sheet
Chatterbooks in Lockdown
I hope you enjoyed reading this
exciting fantasy adventure story. But how well did you read it? See if you answer these questions:
Not read it yet? Read The Conspiracy of Magic now.
- Cass is described as an "Obtruse". What did that mean?
- Who were the "Free Magickers"?
- What was the "Company of Eight"?
- Who were "The Sins"?
- What was the name of the Queen of Minaris?
- Cass was kidnapped by Nym. What was her aim?
- What did Dacha do about this situation?
- How did Cass and Dacha escape from Enzit?
- What does Cass use to get herself back to the Minarian Plains?
- How does Cass achieve her greatest ambition at the end of the book?
"The Conspiracy of Magic" is an example of a fantasy story. What other fantasy stories have you read?
Below is a list of the features that make a story a 'fantasy'. Next to each, write an example of a book you have read that has this feature. (Try not to answer Harry Potter to EVERY one!)
- MAGIC (witches and wizards)
- IMAGINARY WORLDS
- A DIFFERENT TIME (and sometimes, time travel)
- STRANGE CREATURES
- ANIMALS WITH HUMAN QUALITIES
- CHARACTERS REPRESENTING GOOD V EVIL
- A PORTAL (OPENING) INTO A FANTASY WORLD
Make a Parachute
Can you make a replica of the parachute Cass used to escape back home to Minaris?
- Decorate a square of kitchen paper/napkin with your chosen design
- Cut 4 pieces of string to a length of a 12-inch ruler (30 cm)
- Tie each piece to a gathered corner of the napkin/paper
- Gather the 4 pieces of string about 6cm above the bottom and tie a knot
- Select a weight for the bottom (a stone, action figure) and secure around strings
- Ready for action! Drop your parachute and watch it glide down to the ground
Cass eats lots of weird and wonderful sounding foods on her travels. Can you find them here?
|Rambleberry tart||Scoodle pies||Mooncake||Venison pie|
|Snoberry cake||Rumberry||Jelly||Flower Beer|
The detailed maps in "The Conspiracy of Magic" add greatly to the story. After studying the map of "The Longest World" at the beginning of the book, can you invent a similar imaginary world, the features of which (forests, rivers, valleys, hills, towns etc) you could add to the map below.
My imaginary world is called:
- Cass is described as an "Obtruse". What did that mean? A person who is immune to magic.
- Who were the "Free Magickers"? A lawless bunch of rebel magicians who were in constant battle with the magical enforcers.
- What was the "Company of Eight"? A secret band of 8 skilled female sword fighters.
- Who were "The Sins"? A gang of brutal thieves.
- What was the name of the Queen of Minaris? Arden
- Cass was kidnapped by Nym. What was her aim? To start another magical war to help Queen Vegna recapture Metrete and Minaris.
- What did Dacha do about this situation? He rescued Cass from the Winter Palace.
- How did Cass and Dacha escape from Enzit? In a coffin in the back of an undertaker's cart.
- What does Cass use to get herself back to the Minarian Plains? She parachutes off the cliffs.
- How does Cass achieve her greatest ambition at the end of the book? She is invited to become a member of the Company of Eight.
Page last updated: 15th June 2020