The Alex Rider Activity Sheet
Chatterbooks in Lockdown
The "Alex Rider"
books are a series of spy novels by Anthony Horowitz about a teenage spy called Alex Rider. As well as novels, the series includes graphic novels and short stories. You can download all of the
books in the series on e-book or audiobook through Libby. Enjoy!
But how well did you read it? See if you answer these questions:
Not read it yet? Read Alex Rider now.
Have a go at this Alex Rider quiz and other fun spy activities.
- How old is Alex Rider at the start of the series?
- How many years is it since "Stormbreaker", the first book was published?
- What football team does Alex support?
- How many novels are there in the Alex Rider series?
- What organisation does Alex originally work for?
- What was Alex's uncle called?
- How did Alex's parents die?
- Who gives Alex his weapons before his missions?
- What are Mrs Jones's sweets of choice?
- Who becomes Alex's guardian after the death of his uncle?
- In what martial art does Alex have a black belt?
- What foreign languages can Alex speak?
Could you be the next Alex Rider?
If Alex Rider were to retire and MI6 were looking for new spy recruits, would you apply? The job advertisement might look something like this:
“A leading London based Intelligence Service is looking to recruit individuals aged 12-18 who understand the need to serve their county, by protecting the security and well-being of its citizens. A range of spy skills are essential and experience is preferred. Interested candidates should complete the following profile, with a covering letter explaining why you should be considered for the job. Fill in the profile form below and add a covering letter (on a separate piece of paper). Competition for the job will be tough, so your explanation as to why you deserve it should be as convincing and persuasive as possible. Good luck!
|Most Dangerous Mission to Date|
Design a Gadget
In "Stormbreaker", Smithers, the Head of Technical Support, provided Alex with various gadgets, which he described as "toys". His challenge was "to think what a 14 year - old might
carry with him – and adapt it". He came up with a yoyo like no other, Zit cream that burnt through metal and a Nintendo DS with 4 "games" that got Alex out of many a difficult situation.
Could you do better? Try designing a piece of equipment for a teenage spy. It must be useful to any mission and MUST escape detection, therefore must be limited to something that a teenager might have in their possession that can be adapted.
Now prepare a presentation of your gadget to be given to Smithers, head of Technical Support. Remember Smithers has seen many ideas before so it must be cutting edge and innovative to get his attention. Give your gadget a name and in detail explain what it does and how it works.
|Name of Gadget|
|Purpose of Gadget|
Spy Skills - Codebreaking
To be a good spy, you must learn to be a code breaker.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Z Y X W V U T S R Q P O N M L K J I H G F E D C B A
Can you use this coded alphabet to decrypt this secret message?
Blfi svok rh fitvmgob ivjfrivw gl wvuvzg gsv vero ulixv gszg rh gsivzgvmrmt lfi xlfmgib.
Nvvg nv zg mllm lm gsfihwzb yb Mvohlmh Xlofnm rm Gizuzotzi Hjfziv.
Dvzi hlnvgsrmt ivw zmw rmgilwfxv blfihvou zh ‘Yroo’.
Write your answer below:
Spy Skills - Fingerprinting
To be a good spy you must also be adept at fingerprint analysis. Begin your fingerprint study by looking at your own. Did you know that all fingerprints are unique? No two sets of
fingerprints are the same and fingerprints cannot be removed or changed unless the skin is severely damaged.
There are 3 main types of fingerprints: loops, whorls and arches
Look at you fingers. Can you work out which type you have? To help you, do an analysis:
- CLEAN VERSION – Put baby powder (or flour or icing sugar) on your fingers. Place a piece of Sellotape on each finger in turn, remove and hold up to the light. Hey presto! Instant fingerprint! To give it a longer life fix the Sellotape to a piece of black paper.
- MESSY VERSION – Press your first finger onto an ink pad and then straight onto a piece of paper. Repeat for other fingers. (Then wash your hands)
Now analyse your fingerprints to determine what type of pattern you have.
Why do you think fingerprints are so crucial to crime solving?
- How old is Alex Rider at the start of the series? 14
- How many years is it since "Stormbreaker", the first book was published? 20 years
- What football team does Alex support? Chelsea
- How many novels are there in the Alex Rider series? 12 (+ 6 graphic novels). “Nightshade” (number 12) was released in April 2020
- What organisation does Alex originally work for? MI6
- What was Alex's uncle called? Ian Rider
- How did Alex's parents die? In a plane crash
- Who gives Alex his weapons before his missions? Derek Smithers
- What are Mrs Jones's sweets of choice? Mints
- Who becomes Alex's guardian after the death of his uncle? Jack Starbright
- In what martial art does Alex have a black belt? Karate
- What foreign languages can Alex speak? Spanish, French and German
Your help is urgently required to defeat the evil force that is threatening our country. Meet me at noon on Thursday by Nelsons Column in Trafalgar Square. Wear something red and introduce yourself as "Bill".
Page last updated: 6th July 2020