The Reading Group Service Update September 2021
Reading Group Home | Books Home
The following update was sent to all Reading Group Coordinators on 18th August 2021.
Bedford Borough and Central Bedfordshire Libraries are delighted to announce that we are planning to resume the Reading Group service in September.
The Reading Group service will reopen on Monday 6th September 2021 and each group will be able to
submit a request for one title during the first four weeks; this is to try and give
everyone equal opportunity to obtain their first book after the restrictions and get it to their chosen collection point as soon as possible.
From Monday 4th October, the usual rules will apply, allowing each group to have two titles at a time either on request or on loan.
We appreciate that members of your group may have outstanding copies of previous titles they have not been able to return due to shielding or self-isolation etc. We are happy for them to hold on to their copies until it is safe for them to return them, but we ask that you do not give copies of a new title to members if you know they are unable to return them.
We would like to take the opportunity to remind all Reading Groups of the following:
- You can only request and borrow titles from the Reading Group Collection; this is done via the Virtual Library, except large print and spoken word versions of that title
- You can borrow up to 10 copies of a title, plus spoken word and large print copies of that title as required and if available
- You can only have two titles allocated to your Reading Group, on loan or on the reservation shelf awaiting collection, at any one time
- The Reading Group coordinator will need to collect all copies of the title for distribution to the other group members
- If there are members of the group who are not able to return their items due to self-isolation etc., we are happy for them to hold on to their copies until they can return them, but we ask that you do not give them a copy of a new title if you know that they are unable to return it
- When the books are issued, the loan period is for 6 weeks; they can be renewed but will incur concessionary rate fines if they go overdue
- If you no longer wish to continue to use the Reading Group service, please let us know so that we can update our records and offer a place to another group on the waiting list.
Check out the updated Reading Group Collection list here; just click on a title to see a synopsis of each book.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Reading Group service. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Learn more about arranging online meetings for your group.
Page last updated: 24th August 2021