Select and Collect in Bedford Borough Libraries
Select and Collect is only available on the Bedford Borough Mobile library. Following the government's announcement of the easing of Lockdown the staff selected bundle service has stopped at all branch libraries as we are open for limited browsing and essential PC use. Find out more about the phased reopening and reintroduction of services here.
- Request up to 10 books of a genre or subject you like, for example, crime or WWII, using the Select and Collect Form .
We can only provide books, large print and spoken word, you cannot request DVDs, magazines or CDs.
- Request individual titles for free using
Arena, the online library catalogue and the Bedfordshire Libraries app.
Normal request charges will resume at a later date.
- Each library has their own Select and Collect hours - click here to see the Select and Collect hours and contact details.
How do I request my Select and Collect books? | How does Select and Collect work? | What types of stock can I get? | How many books can I request? | Can I choose my own books? | How long will I have to wait for my books? | How do I collect my books? | What are the Select and Collect Collection Hours? | When is the Select and Collect Line open? | How do I return my books? | My loans online are not correct - why? | Will I be able to to look at the shelves or use the computers? | Can I pay my charges? | Can I collect books for someone else? | What is happening to your other services?
How do I request my Select and Collect books?
There are two ways to place your free Select and Collect Requests:
- Select and Collect Request Form - All you need is your library card number and PIN to log in.
Don't know your PIN? Request your PIN now!
- Log on to Arena, the online library catalogue to search and request specific books.
Or use the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android and Apple app store.
If you do not want to request online call the Select and Collect Line on 01234 718178 and talk to a member of staff.
How does Select and Collect work?
Whether you use the online Select and Collect form or call the Select and Collect Line on 01234 718178, you will need to tell us:
- Where you would like to collect your books from.
- What type of stock you would like to request - books, large print or spoken word
- What genre/subject of books you would like. You can request multiple genres/subjects
This is not designed for requesting specific titles; use Arena, the Bedfordshire Libraries App, or call the Select and Collect Line on 01234 718178 for this type of request.
- Provide more detail about what you like to read - authors you like, books you have enjoyed, specifics about the genre/subject you have selected, for example Scandi-Noir or Cosy for crime.
Also highlight if you would prefer paperbacks.
- How many of each genre/subject you would like - a maximum of 10 books in total can be requested at one time (4 for Instant or Online Registered borrowers)
Once you've told us what you want the staff will select the books from your chosen library.
Please be aware that selecting the books may take a little while due to limited staffing in the current situation. We may not be able to provide you exactly what you’ve asked for.
When your books are ready to collect we will email you or send a letter.
Please read this carefully as it will tell you the opening times of your chosen library and provide guidance for collecting your books.
Then all you have to do is take your books home and enjoy!
You must not visit the mobile library if you, or anyone in your household, have had any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
Just contact us or call the Select and Collect Line on 01234 718178 and we will happily extend the collection date for your books.
Please remember you must wear a face covering when visiting a library, unless you have a legitimate reason not to.
Don't forget you can request individual titles for free using Arena, the online library catalogue, the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android or Apple app store, or by calling the Select and Collect Line on 01234 718178.
What types of stock can I get using Select and Collect?
We are able to provide books, large print and spoken word.
We will not be providing DVDs, CDs or magazines as they are not stocked at all the collection libraries
However, you can request all stock using Arena, the online library catalogue, the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android or Apple app store, or by calling the Select and Collect Line on 01234 718178.
How many books can I request using Select and Collect?
You can have up to 10 books at a time, they can be multiple genres/subjects.
If you have an instant membership (did not provide ID when you joined the library) or joined online but have not collected a card you can have 4 books.
You can only ask for one set of books at a time.
Can I choose my own books?
Yes, you can use Arena, the online library catalogue, the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android or Apple app store, or call the Select and Collect Line on 01234 718178 to request individual titles for free.
Click here to see how to search and request using Arena.
How long will I have to wait for my books?
We will work hard to satisfy your requests as quickly as possible. However, we cannot provide a timescale due to Covid-19 limitations to staffing, work practices, treatment of stock, etc. which will have an impact.
How do I collect my books?
When you visit the mobile library we recommend and encourage you to:
- Please respect others’ space and maintain distance from people you do not live with during your visit.
There are some areas of the building where you may need to pause and wait for others to pass.
- Wear a face covering, unless you have a legitimate reason not to - find out more about face coverings here
- Use the hand sanitiser provided
- Scan the NHS Test and Trace QR poster using your smartphone, or complete a NHS Test and Trace form - find out more about Test and Trace here
- Help other customers be able to use the library by not staying longer than you need to.
You must not visit the library if you, or anyone in your household, have had any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
Just contact us or call the library and we will happily extend the collection date for your books.
How do I know the items are safe to handle?
When items are returned they are quarantined for a miminum of 72 hours. We have new procedures for when we select, issue and pack the items for you too.
As an extra precaution, you may choose to leave them in their paper bag for three days once you get home.
When is the Select and Collect Collect Line open?
You can call the Select and Collect Line on 01234 718178 between the following hours:
Monday to Saturday: 11am – 4pm
There will be a drop box for all returned items. All returned stock will be quarantined for 72 hours; they will not be returned from your card until the quarantine period has passed.
Please contact us or call the Select and Collect Line if you have any questions about your loans, account or requests.
My loans online are not correct - why?
At times the list of loans displayed on Arena will not match what you have at home. This is because:
- Returned items will be quarantined for 72 hours before being removed from your card
- Requested books will be issued to your card as soon as they arrive at your pick-up library, before you pick them up.
Will I be able to to look at the shelves?
No. The mobile library is too small to allow browsing and ensure social distancing is observed.
You will collect your books from the library entrance.
Can I pay my charges?
No. We are not handling any payments at the moment.
Can I collect books for someone else?
Yes, as long as you have the reference number and surname.
Page last updated: 19th July 2021