About this Site
The Virtual Library is the 6th library in Bedford Borough and 13th Library in Central Bedfordshire, open 22 hours a day, seven days a week. It aims to provide the same services online as you would find in any of our physical libraries, and the same levels of customer care.
The Virtual Library provides you with access to:
- Arena, the online library catalogue and borrower information, enabling you to search, request and renew items
- Information about Bedford Borough and Central Bedfordshire Libraries
- Specialist pages for local and family historians, as well as helpful hints to aid your research
- Books, music and film news, and the opportunity to read reviews and contribute your own.
- The children and teen's virtual library - homework help, recommended reads and lots of fun things to do
- WebLinks - recommended web sites, which are safe, reliable and regularly updated
- Local Information - whether it is a local organisation, club or society, this should be your first stop
- Jobs, Careers and Skills - online and in the library, as well as advice and guidance on where to go to start or develop your learning
- Plus lots, lots, lots more...
There is also an online enquiry service so you can ask questions and send comments to experts in the libraries, just click the Contact Us button to get in touch.
The Virtual Library will continue to develop and grow in response to changes in the service and your comments.
There is an ongoing programme of evaluation, if you wish to join a focus group or send in your views, comments and suggestions please use the Contact Us form.
The Virtual Library has been separated into sections representing areas of our service. Move your mouse over a heading on the navigation bar to prompt a flyout list of headings. These will appear whenever you move the mouse over the navigation, so allowing you to move around the site with ease.
All links are in blue, or purple once they have been clicked, click these to access another page in the Virtual Library or to go to an external web site.
You can search the Virtual Library, using the search box on the right hand corner of the screen, and clicking the magnifier image. This will search the whole of the Virtual Library. If you would like to limit your search to a specific area use the options on your results page. The results are ranked by the number of times your search term/ keywords appear, with the most matches at the top. To access the page click on the Title line, which is blue.
The Virtual Library aims to be accessible to all areas of the community. Click here to view the Web Accessibility Statement.
We are guided by a number of standards and laws:
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and their
- Disability Discrimination Act and the revised Code of Practice
- The Virtual Library Pages have been passed through various validators for accessibility.
If you encounter any problems with the Virtual Library, please do let us know by completing the Contact Us form.
Page last updated: 11th November 2020