Select and Collect Service in Central Bedfordshire Libraries
All Central Bedfordshire libraries are open for limited browsing, essential PC and printing.
Find out more about the libraries reopening here.
We will continue to offer Select and Collect services from all our libraries whilst we continue the phased reopening of our libraries.
The safety of all our customers and staff is extremely important to us so we are maintaining the Covid measures to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable visit to the library.
We thank you for your valuable support and look forward to welcoming you all back very soon.
Please do not worry about your loans, reservations or staff selected bundles; your loans have been extended to the 10th August or later. We can also extend the collection dates for your reservations and bundles, just Contact Us if you would like us to do this or you have any questions or concerns.
- Request up to 10 books of a genre or subject you like, for example, crime or romance, using the
Select and Collect Form.
We can only provide books, large print and spoken word, you cannot request DVDs, magazines or CDs.
- Request individual titles for free using
Arena, the online library catalogue.
Normal request charges will resume at a later date.
- You can also return the items you have at home to the entrance of your local library.
We have extended the return date for all items on loan, excluding those at the maximum overdue fine on the 20th March 2020.
- Each library has their own Select and Collect hours - click here to see the Select and Collect hours and contact details.
How do I request my Select and Collect books?
There are two ways to place your free Select and Collect Requests:
- Select and Collect Form - All you need is your library card number and PIN to log in.
Don't know your PIN? Request your PIN now!
- Log on to Arena, the online library catalogue to search and request specific books.
Or use the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android and Apple app store.
If you do not want to request online call your local Select and Collect Line and talk to a member of staff.
How does Select and Collect work?
- Where you would like to collect your books from.
- What type of stock you would like to request - books, large print or spoken word
- What genre/subject of books you would like. You can request multiple genres/subjects
This is not designed for requesting specific titles; use Arena, the Bedfordshire Libraries App, or call your Select and Collect Line for this type of request.
- Provide more detail about what you like to read - authors you like, books you have enjoyed, specifics about the genre/subject you have selected, for example Scandi-Noir or Cosy for crime.
Also highlight if you would prefer paperbacks.
- How many of each genre/subject you would like - a maximum of 10 books in total can be requested at one time (4 for Instant or Online Registered borrowers)
Once you've told us what you want the staff will select the books from your chosen library.
Please be aware that selecting the books may take a little while due to limited staffing in the current situation. We may not be able to provide you exactly what you’ve asked for.
When your books are ready to collect we will email you or send a letter.
Please read this carefully as it will tell you the opening times of your chosen library and provide guidance for collecting your books.
Then all you have to do is take your books home and enjoy!
Don't forget you can request individual titles for free using Arena, the online library catalogue, the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android or Apple app store, or by calling your local Select and Collect Line.
What types of stock can I get using Select and Collect?
We are able to provide books, large print and spoken word.
We will not be providing DVDs, CDs or magazines as they are not stocked at all the collection libraries
However, you can request all stock using Arena, the online library catalogue, the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android or Apple app store, or by calling your local Select and Collect Line.
How many books can I request using Select and Collect?
You can have up to 10 books at a time, they can be multiple genres/subjects.
If you have an instant membership (did not provide ID when you joined the library) or joined online but have not collected a card you can have 4 books.
You can only ask for one set of books at a time.
Can I choose my own books?
Yes, you can use Arena, the online library catalogue, the Bedfordshire Libraries app available from the Android or Apple app store, or call your local Select and Collect Line to request individual titles for free.
Click here to see how to search and request using Arena.
How long will I have to wait for my books?
We will work hard to satisfy your requests as quickly as possible. However, we cannot provide a timescale due to Covid-19 limitations to staffing, work practices, treatment of stock, etc. which will have an impact.
How do I collect my books?
When you visit the library we require you to:
- Wear a face covering when visiting a library, unless you have a legitimate reason not to.
- Maintain safe distancing between you and other customers or staff
- Use the hand sanitiser provided
- Scan the Test and Trace QR code or complete a Test and Trace form
You must not visit the library if you, or anyone in your household, have had any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
Just contact us and we will happily extend the collection date for your books.
What are the Select and Collect Collection Hours?
All libraries, except Dunstable which is still closed on a Sunday and Monday, are open their usual hours now. Click here to see your loacal librayr opening hours and contact details.
There will be a drop box for all returned items. In good weather this will be outside the library, if the weather is poor the box will be where you collect your requests.
Can I pay my charges?
Yes, you can.
Can I collect books for someone else?
Yes, as long as you have their reference number and surname.
Page last updated: 19th July 2021