Health and Care
Frequently asked questions
- How do I find a doctor, dentist, optician, pharmacy or hospital?
- Where can I find details of a medicine or drug?
- Is there a self-help or support group for a particular illness or disability?
- How can I see an inspection report on a care home?
- How do I find out more about mental health and care?
- How can I find out more about disabilities and support?
- How do I learn more about support for older people?
As a library member you can access a range of e-resources by logging in with your library card number and PIN.
- Credo Reference - search and browse many reference books online, for example, 'Black's Medical Dictionary', 'Royal Society of Medicine Health Encyclopaedia' and 'Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary'
- Newspapers online - search for health news items from daily and Sunday newspapers; for historical information there is also the 'Times Digital Archive' first published in 1785 and covering over 200 years
- NHS - the National Health Service site for the public, information on many medical conditions, along with treatments, healthy living, contact details for GPs, hospitals and much more
- For more, specially selected, health and care web sites see the Health and Well-being section of WebLinks
- For local information and council support, see Health and Social Care at the Central Bedfordshire Council web site and Bedford Borough Council Social Care and Health
- For more local services and for support groups search the Local Information Database
In the Library
- You can browse academic articles on Health and Biological Sciences for free using the Access to Research service
Page last updated: 7th August 2020