Palaeolithic period: People from the palaeolithic (old stone age) period lived in this area. Remains of their tools were found between 1890 and 1910 by Dunstable archaeologist Worthington George Smith.
1180-1200: All Saints church constructed, consisting of an aisle-less nave and chancel.
15th century: West tower and south aisle built.
c1539: The Parsonage House built. It was bequeathed to the church and parish in 1546. During the late 16th and 17th centuries it was a Poor House and by 1742 it was the Workhouse for the Bedfordshire part of the parish; it closed in 1835. The site is now part of an extended churchyard.
1798: Caddington Enclosure Act passed.
1822: Chequers Inn first licensed.
1825: Bricklayer's Arms first licensed, it closed between 1910-14 and is now a private house.
c1830: Caddington Hall built, it was demolished in the late 1970s.
1859: The National School built. It was designed by H. Holyoak of Luton. The school was enlarged in 1893 but only partially used after 1952 when Heathfield School opened. Vacated in 1959 and demolished in the 1960s.
1876: Substantial restoration and repair work carried out to the church and the vestry added.
1897: The parish of Caddington, which was partly in Bedfordshire and partly in Hertfordshire, was transferred completely to Bedfordshire.
1939: 96 children and teachers evacuated to Caddington.
1952: Heathfield School opened.
1964: In January the church bells rang out for the first time in a 130 years after they had been completely renovated at a cost of 1,400.
1970: The Vicarage demolished and the extensive garden sold to Luton R.D.C. for housing. The new Vicarage was built on the site which was part of the 1865 vicarage kitchen garden.
1970 -71: Archaeologists visit Caddington to investigate remains of palaeolithic (old stone age) activity.
1984: Five Oaks Middle School saved from closure.
1986: The Government vetoes massive building plans that would have meant joining up Luton and Caddington.
1994: Caddington Local History Group formed, the inaugural meeting was on the 28th April.
1997: Lord Runcie rededicated the refurbished church clock and tower of All Saints church on Sunday 18th October.
2006: The church receives a grant of 47,000 from English Heritage towards the 100,000 needed for structural repairs.
- The Newspaper Cuttings Collection in the Local Studies Library at Bedford Central Library
- Victoria County History of Bedfordshire 3 Vols. 1912.
- Coleman, Stephen Caddington and Kensworth. 1985.
- Sutton, Frank A History of Caddington and its People. 1994.
Page last updated: 23rd January 2014