Where Can I Search the Marriages Index?
- You can search the marriages index online and on microfiche or microfilm in libraries and Family History Centres. For other locations, see Gov.UK section 'Research your family history using the General Register Office'
- You can search and view the marriages index 1837-2005 free at all Bedfordshire libraries on Ancestry Library Edition. In addition to free use in libraries, the Ancestry web site is also available by subscription at Ancestry.co.uk
- If you are in a Bedfordshire library now, you can go to Ancestry Library Edition now. If it is your first time, or if you are not in a Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire library now, see Ancestry Library Edition tips for further details
- The Ancestry site also gives free access to the partial transcriptions and images produced by a project called FreeBMD. FreeBMD transcribes every name on an index page so you can find individual entries rather than having to read through index pages
- However, FreeBMD coverage is not yet comprehensive. Therefore, if you use the FreeBMD records it is advisable to check on the FreeBMD web site itself (which is entirely free) to see whether you are searching a comprehensive or a partial set of records for any particular year
- There are also several subscription sites that enable you to search the marriages index free and then pay to see the actual index entries. Some offer their own unique and useful ways of searching. Examples of these sites are Findmypast.co.uk and FamilyRelatives.com and BMDindex.co.uk
- For overseas marriages of some British citizens, you can view indexes of various dates free at Familyrelatives.com
- All these sites and others are at Weblinks>Family history>Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Bedford Central Library has the 1837 - 2004 index for England and Wales. It also has indexes of overseas marriages of some British citizens, for various dates. It is advisable to contact the library to check availability before making a special visit.
- The index is also available at Family History Centres (FHCs) which are run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You can find their locations on the Familysearch web site. The centres are not open every day so intending visitors need to ring first to check opening times
Page last updated: 1st January 2022